Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Night In The City



I found myself in Des Moines last evening to meet with Hubby on his way through. After having dinner together I headed to Capital Hill to capture some evening summer shots of our fine State Capital. I was pleased to see all the construction at the front of the building is finished,the new landscaping with benches and plantings overlooks the city skyline,and the sunset was a lovely one. I also went to the corner to capture the Capital reflected in nthe Wallace Building,the largest funhouse mirror I have ever seen. The image was distorted like a wierd acid effect had melted parts of the building reflected.



After I left the hill, I headed to Grays Lake just South of downtown, I still wanted to capture the colored lights on the padestrian bridge in the park. The last time I tried about a month ago a thunderstorm rolled in before it got dark enough.

The parking lots were full,there were alot of people out enjoying the evening air. There was some wind, so the longer exposures I tried blurred, even though I was using a remote shutter and tripod. The first shot turned out to be the best, Isn't that the way it always goes,LOL

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your night shots, Tani. It makes me want to go out and do some tonight, but I'm sure that feeling will pass long before it gets dark here. :-)

Often the first shot is the best shot. I'm not sure why that is but it happens so many times there must be something to it.

Glad you got to see your hubby, if only for a short time.

Anonymous said...

I have that very picture of the capital relfection; right across the street in the gold-colored glass. Mine was a bit earlier and you can see scaffolding around the domes. Geeze, that was 10y ago!

Anonymous said...

I still love your pictures and enjoy your new site. If you get a chance, check out the blog I just discovered - www.thepioneerwoman.com
Ree has some wonderful pictures of her life on a ranch. In addition to photography she is one heck of a writer.
Have a great week!
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I really liked the picture that looked like a bridge over the water with the lights reflecting on the water....Great job.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I like the reflection pics. I guess I'm wierdly distrorted myself.

Anonymous said...

This is a great set, Tani! The reflection in the building is fabulous!

MissDazey said...

As always these are breathe taking. Have you ever thought of doing a book of State Capitols?

Linda