Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Resolutions

FAther, I have a confession....I have all but forgotten my Blog, a deep sense of lethargy set in. But today is a new day, It's a new year, and I resolve to post photography posts again on a more regular schedule.

January 3rd I met in Downtown Des Moines with 12 other photography minded individuals for a flickr meet up. Many of the faces were new, and a few had already become steadfast friends. They group was diverse in age, background, and camera equiptment, but all of them even the newest of amatuers had a definate eye and came up with some interesxting photos. You can see the photos everyone posted here. http://www.flickr.com/groups/1014797@N22/

Here are a couple of my photos, and I will discuss the different lenses and techniques for each.
This was a display in a shop window in a gifty shop called ETC. I used a 50mm 1.4 lens set at 1.4 aperature to allow the most light in. Flash was not used. With such a narrow foacal area it is only possible to focus in one particular area, making the objects not at that focal distance blur. This is called Dof (depth of field) . This also gives you thoise beautiful circes known as Bokeh, this occurs when light sorces become out of focus. Such as the light reflecting off of the pewter figures. This effect is intensional.
The Greatest Gift Of All

This was taken in the skywalks, It is a neon light fixture in the ceiling. I used a wide angle lens. The neon was white, which made for a B&W done in color. I acheived the cool blue tones in RAW split toning, by tweaking the colors & saturations.

Neon Blues

This Christmas tree was still standing in the Hub,There were multidudes of different ways to shoot this tree and atrium.In my favorite one I used the wide angle lens again,laying down at the foot of the tree and looking up.
Up The Tree Atrium

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too have a hard time keeping up with a blog. I might recommend making it more fun and creative with a blogazine site like http://magazines.me/. Allows you to show of your beautiful pics better.
good luck.:)